Author Topic: HDRFactory Selection/Mask Feature?  (Read 5322 times)

Offline sktcher11

• Beta Tester
  • Expert
HDRFactory Selection/Mask Feature?
« on: January 25, 2014, 11:21:26 pm »
Although I've just started using my HDRFactory program, I had a thought of a possible tool that may be of interest?

The presets we use applies the effect to the "entire" image we are working on. Would it be possible to have a selection tool (like the magic wand in photoshop) or some other tool (Pencil Tool) that would allow us to just select "a part" of the image to apply the HDR effect to? Right now the Pencil  tool only allows Ghost Removal of an image?

As an example: If we had a image and we just want to apply the effect to the sky?
With this tool we could create a specific selection that the effect is only applied to.

Or we can use this selection tool to create a mask covering the rest of the image and the unmasked area would be the only thing that has the HDR effect applied?

I also thought it maybe useful in Enhancer (which has no tools)? To just enhance specific area's or objects?

I'm not a programmer and don't know the possibilities, but from a design aspect I think it may be a cool tool or feature to have?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 07:03:49 pm by sktcher11 »
Later, Sktcher11 :)

Offline Kat

• Expert
    • AKVIS
Re: HDRFactory Selection/Mask Feature?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 06:01:35 am »
We are not sure that this option is needful. Especially, for a true HDR image where several photos are used.  It will be a great problem with the alignment. And, I guess, transitions between areas will not look well.   
As for Enhancer, the feature would be useful, but technically it is hard to do.
We will think over your request and try to find a solution.

You can use the layers in your image editor: apply the plugin to the copy of the layer, and then cut out odd parts.
Kat
AKVIS team

Offline Shoshanna

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:09:24 pm »
Sktcher11, this is an issue I find best addressed by using multiple layers, and then masking out the areas of a specific layer that aren't needed or wanted.  By doing it this way, I have considerable flexibility in deciding how best to apply an effect to a single area of an image.  While in some images an effect needs to be masked very precisely, along an existing edge (such as horizons, or buildings, for example), in others it's most effective to lightly (or even heavily!) feather the mask so that the blend is gradual. 

There are many instances in which the best results are gained only through experimentation, and I'll often mask, undo, and remask a layer several times in order to attain exactly the look I'm after.  I do own and use a number of plugins that allow one to work on a pre-selected area of an image, rather than the entire picture, but I almost never use that feature-- I find it much more effective to have an entire filtered layer with which to work, and sometimes discover that what I'd originally envisioned does not have as much impact as that which I discover through a little experimentation.

One thing I would strongly recommend to anyone working with masks-- or really doing any kind of serious post-processing-- is the purchase of a Wacom Intuos  pad and pressure-sensitive stylus.  I've been using them since the '90s, and in terms of both accuracy and artistic freedom they take you light years beyond a mouse, or any laptop mouse-substitute-- infinitely faster, and worlds better!  Even the Bamboo model, which is their "home" version, entry-level model (very reasonably priced!), will open up endless possibilities.  I paint the photographs I shoot for my clients, and my Intuos is as indispensable as the either my camera or computer.

I know that on the surface of it it seems as if it would be more efficient and a better workflow to be able to run just one area of an image through a filtering plugin, but I think you'll find that the more you work with images, the more you'll discover that having a fully-filtered layer with which to work-- rather than a mere section of a layer-- will spur your creativity, encourage you to experiment, and eventually lead to more exciting and satisfying results.  Less is not always more.  Sometimes MORE is more. 

Happy imaging!

Offline sktcher11

• Beta Tester
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:54:10 am »
Hi,
Thank you both for your replies.

Kat,
 I was referring to the HDR Pseudo effect, I do not use multiple images at the moment so the alignment would not be a factor with my current usage and experience.
I don't expect the possibilities of my suggestions becoming a reality, you & your programmers would know best.
I am only throwing out my thoughts from using any of your programs and sharing my ideas.

Some may be good, bad or just plain crazy and if not possible and least I get the experienced advice of you & possible forum members to help me find a better way to accomplish what I was trying to do ;)

Shoshanna,
Thank you for the detailed explanation of a work-around in accomplishing what I was trying to do. I guess I was looking for the easy way out, I'll have to hone my masking skills and using the possibilities with multiple layers.
As the saying goes.... practice makes perfect ...wow, I got a lot of  experimenting to do ;D

Thanks for the info about the tablet info as well, I will look into it.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:09:17 pm by sktcher11 »
Later, Sktcher11 :)