Author Topic: Transparent Background  (Read 4870 times)

Offline sktcher11

• Beta Tester
  • Expert
Transparent Background
« on: January 10, 2014, 08:19:37 pm »
Hi,
During the Year of the Horse contest, I noticed that after using Smartmask "first" to create a transparent background behind my image that when I brought that transparent bkgd. image into Sketch & Airbrush (maybe others?) it does not maintain the transparent background but fills in the bkgd with a white bkgd.?

Is their a fix to keep the transparent bkgd using Smartmask when brought into other programs or do I have to use Smartmask last in creating a transparent bkgd. to my image?

I use Smartmask 1st so that I don't have to be concerned with the background I don't want and the effects that the other programs may have on them, making it easier to just focus on the image results I want. I find I  have to then use Smartmask again to get rid of the white background.
Later, Sktcher11 :)

Offline Kat

• Expert
    • AKVIS
Re: Transparent Background
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 04:53:44 am »
What image format did use to save the result in SmartMask?

I have just tested one of my images with transparency in Sketch v.15, using both PNG and TIFF formats. It works well.   
May be you saved the picture in SmartMask as JPEG and lost transparency?
Kat
AKVIS team

Offline sktcher11

• Beta Tester
  • Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 06:44:10 am »
Will give it another try, that could be my problem? I usually work with only tiff format because it is suppose to maintain better image quality with less loss of image info compared to jpegs.

But I've noticed in your image sample provided that maintains the transparent bkgd  that they are tagged as jpeg files and not tiffs??

Either way I will try a different file format and let you know.

Thanks

Offline Kat

• Expert
    • AKVIS
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 07:03:43 am »
Those images are screenshots of the program window. Of course, they are JPEGs.

If you want to see the saved results, here you are (both PNG and TIFF in the archive):
http://download.akvis.com/img/sk-results.zip
Kat
AKVIS team

Offline sktcher11

• Beta Tester
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:31:10 am »
I saved a file as png .... it worked, the file held the transparent bkgd  ;)

Found out why my tiff file had not, ....when I saved my tiff file, I forgot to check the box Hold Transparency when I saved it as a tiff. After doing so, the tiff held the transparent bkgd when put into Sketch and Airbrush.

Thanks for solving my problem ;)