Author Topic: Halloween Contest - Information  (Read 11164 times)

Offline Kat

• Expert
    • AKVIS
Halloween Contest - Information
« on: November 05, 2013, 04:26:37 am »
Hi!

Bad news - we had a problem with the topic dedicated to the latest contest - "Halloween Rush" .
Unfortunately, it looks like we lost the messages! It is a big loss!

Good news - we've kept almost all images sent to the Contest.
I will upload them below.
Sorry for the inconvenience!     
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:43:06 am by Kat »
Kat
AKVIS team

Offline Kat

• Expert
    • AKVIS
Re: Halloween Contest - Information
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:34:54 am »
Halloween collages:

Winner - Shoshanna:

The winner can choose a software bundle with three AKVIS programs, i.e. one from these:
°   Photo Correction Bundle Deluxe (Enhancer+Noise Buster+Refocus)
°   Restoration Bundle Deluxe (Retoucher+MultiBrush+Coloriage)
°   Artistic Bundle Deluxe (Sketch+ArtWork+ArtSuite)

Other works:

Each participant gets a 20% discount for any AKVIS software! 

mamiebabou:

hist101:

Pony:

sktcher11:

Sylvie:

willynike:

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:41:47 am by Kat »
Kat
AKVIS team

Offline Lidia

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 12:45:03 pm »
Please contact at info@akvis.com for your 20% coupon code! ;)
AKVIS team

Offline sktcher11

• Beta Tester
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 09:05:36 pm »
Sorry to hear about lost messages.
But could you have Shoshanna repost what Akvis programs she used in her entry?

I'd like to try a trial of the program's she used on my work and maybe add it to my collection.

Later, Sktcher11 :)

Offline Kat

• Expert
    • AKVIS
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 02:10:37 am »
Unfortunately, we do not have her message. We can only hope that she will repeat it! ;)
Kat
AKVIS team

Offline sktcher11

• Beta Tester
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 10:11:07 pm »
Unfortunately, we do not have her message. We can only hope that she will repeat it! ;)

Hi Kat,
I sent Shoshanna a pm about reposting the Akvis progarms she used.
Hope she reads it?

Offline Kat

• Expert
    • AKVIS
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 04:34:38 am »
Sorry to hear about lost messages.
But could you have Shoshanna repost what Akvis programs she used in her entry?

I'd like to try a trial of the program's she used on my work and maybe add it to my collection.

Hi!

Occasionally I have found her post among my emails - It's really useful to subscribe to Forum posts (use the "NOTIFY" button if you want) ;)

Quote from: Shoshanna on October 30, 2013, 10:11:38 pm
What a fun challenge!  I was so glad to have read about it in the AKVIS newsletter, and to have the opportunity to participate.  What was really best about it was that the rules required me to explore beyond the Sketch program-- of which I've been a longtime and passionate fan!-- to download and experiment with trial versions of AKVIS products I'd never before used, nor of which I'd even heard.  It was an eye-opening experience, and as a result there are two, possibly three, that I'll probably be purchasing and permanently adding to my Photoshop arsenal.

So, for the contest I composited seven of the images provided by AKVIS (jpgs 1, 2, 9, 10, 11, 16, and 18), and two royalty-free stock images from Fotalia (the cauldron and the ruined castle towers), and working in Photoshop CS6 used Sketch, SmartMask, ArtWork (comix and oil), Chameleon, Lightshop, Coloriage, and ArtSuite to create the final image.

Thanks again for the opportunity to take part.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:24:27 am by Kat »
Kat
AKVIS team

Offline Shoshanna

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 02:50:02 am »
Hi Kat,
I sent Shoshanna a pm about reposting the Akvis progarms she used.
Hope she reads it?

Hi Sktcher11-- My apologies for being so late in responding to your email!  From almost the moment Frederick and I returned from our holiday along Oregon's north coast I've been bombarded with frantic requests from clients to photograph, paint (digitally or traditionally), or otherwise prepare images for them that they intend as holiday gifts, and as a result I've been just swamped, crashing one deadline after another.  Finally, the decks have been cleared (at least for the moment) and I can try to catch up on other matters-- such as this one!

The Halloween Contest was a lot of fun for me, as it prodded me into going beyond the programs and plugins with which I'm completely familiar and comfortable, and give a try to others I didn't know at all.  It's good when we really know what our tools can do, and how we can get the most out of them-- this usually assists us in producing our best work-- but the danger is that we risk falling into repetitive habits, and not just use these same tools on a regular basis, but use them again and again in the very same way.  In this, we fail to stretch, and fail to grow.  Not very satisfying. 

In being asked to use tools with which we were entirely unfamiliar, we were asked to explore, to seek to experiment, and to discover.  We may not have produced the best work of which we were capable, but we did something far more important, which was to look within ourselves and ask-- without already knowing the answer to the question-- "What is possible?"

So, I downloaded and installed a number of AKVIS products-- in the end, only using seven of them-- and began to play.  The source images provided us seemed, for the most part, to be standard Halloween fare, but in the three individual pictures of "witchy" women I saw the potential for an illustration of perhaps the most famous scene from my very favorite of Shakespeare's plays.  (Admittedly, those witches, described as "secret black and midnight hags", were never intended to be in any way beautiful-- nor, indeed, anything but ugly-- but people have been taking liberties with Shakespeare for 400 years, and I see nothing wrong with continuing that tradition.)  Adding to the mix two of the dark, moody background shots, the bat, and the crow, as well as two royalty-free stock shots (the ruined castle and the cauldron), the necessary elements were all present.

The first step was to to build the raw collage, and for this I used both SmartMask and Chameleon-- some elements were best served by one, some by the other, and it was interesting to experiment and see which tool would be most effective.  SmartMask is good, but very similar in performance to other plugins I already own.  Chameleon, however, was interesting, and this is one I will probably purchase.

After resizing the individual elements to create the desired effect, and using Alien Skin's "Eye Candy" to set fire to the cauldron, I set about unifying the image through color.  After flattening the layers, Coloriage was used to colorize the hair, skin, eyes, lips, and dress of the center witch, infuse all three dresses with a purple-blue/black hue, change the hair of the right-hand witch from black to dark auburn, and add a warm, reddish cast to the dark hair of the left-hand witch.

LightShop was brought in next, to give the moon a glow, the trees and birds a misty, other-worldly effect, and bring together the colors of the two background shots I'd used.  (This is the second plugin I'd have reason to buy.)

The collage, which was at this point essentially still photographic in appearance, was now ready to be transformed into something else.  After making three duplicates of the single, flattened layer, I took the first one into Sketch, and made a fine pencil drawing.  The second one I opened in ArtWork, and adjusted the Oil settings until the image was what I wanted.  The third layer I also opened in Artwork, using different Oil settings to create a more simplified appearance and, after rendering the image in Photoshop, returned the same layer to Artwork, this time using Comix settings on the simplified Oil image.  (ArtWork is the third on my list.)

Using Photoshop's blend modes, I combined the Sketch, Oil, and Oil/Comix layers to create the final adjustment.

After flattening those layers, I used ArtSuite to add an edge to the image ("Frost").  In order to finish it as a poster, I enlarged the canvas (in this case the white background) in Photoshop, added the title "The Weird Sisters" using the font Rennie Mackintosh (spacing the letters to match the width of the picture), placed a fine line below the text, and below that added the well-known quote from "Macbeth", using the Poetica Roman Small Capitals font. 

And that was about it. 

Again, I apologize for the delay in posting this.  I very much enjoyed the experience, and look forward to participating more in this forum-- most likely after the holiday craziness among my clients abates!

Offline Kat

• Expert
    • AKVIS
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 03:46:26 am »
Thank you Shoshanna! Nice story! Everybody will sure find it useful. We could probably make a tutorial for akvis.com.
Kat
AKVIS team

Offline Lidia

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 05:15:33 am »
Thank you once more Shoshanna! Your collage and description are both beautiful!

Kat, I totally agree with you, it would be great to make a tutorial!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:11:11 pm by Lidia »
AKVIS team

Offline sktcher11

• Beta Tester
  • Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 08:02:22 pm »
Thank You Shoshanna!
It was exactly the perfect description of details I was hoping for. Thank you for reposting it  :)
I agree with Kat & Lidia, it would be a great tutorial seeing the application of various Akvis programs in achieving the final result of a creative concept.

Shoshanna, I'm looking forward to experimenting with some of the program's you used & hope you stay an active member on this forum.